Chocolate Orange Torte Recipe
This eye-catching dessert takes the cake at any holiday gathering. Chocolate truffles on top are a fantastic finishing touch.
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles or ground pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup plus 7 to 8 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2-3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, stir chocolate chips and butter until melted. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture; return all to the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar until blended. Place 1/2 cup in a small bowl; pour remaining chocolate mixture into a small bowl for filling. Cover each bowl with a paper towel. Let stand for up to 1 hour or until soft-set.
- 3. For truffles, roll the 1/2-cup portion into 12 balls. Roll in sprinkles or pecans. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 4. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- 5. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6. For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, chocolate chips and 1/3 cup milk; microwave until melted. Whisk in extract until smooth. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar.
- 7. Transfer to a large bowl. Place in a large bowl of ice water. With a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes; set aside.
- 8. For filling, gradually add enough of the remaining milk to reserved chocolate mixture, beating until it achieves spreading consistency.
- 9. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Spread 2-2/3 cups frosting over top and sides of cake. Using a #195 star tip, pipe the remaining frosting into 12 rosettes on top of cake. Place a truffle on each rosette. Press chocolate sprinkles onto sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without chocolate sprinkles) equals 977 calories, 54 g fat (31 g saturated fat), 241 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 122 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Orange Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC