I send these to family and friends in other areas of the country. The citrusy, two-tone treats bring a taste of the Sunshine State.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Add orange peel to one half; add melted chocolate to the other half.
- Shape each portion into two 10x1-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut each roll down the center lengthwise. Reassemble rolls, alternating chocolate and orange halves. Wrap and chill until firm enough to slice, if necessary.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 5-6 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Orange Rounds in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2013