- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange peel and vanilla; gradually add orange juice until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips (batter will be thick).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 cupcakes.
Reviews for Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
"the recipe made 12+ cupcakes for me. i added a lot more orange juice to make the batter thinner. all in all i liked the cupcake, my husband thought it was too dry. after a few days in the fridge the cupcakes tasted better and more moist. also a good recipe for those watching their cholestrol"
"I found this to be very dry cup cake. Will not make it again."
"these cupcakes were very simple to make, and they made a huge hit. everyone loved them. I'll definitely make these again."
"The mayo is a substitute for eggs & oil. You can use it when you are making a small amount of corn bread also."
"what can I substitute for the mayo"