- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange peel and vanilla; gradually add orange juice until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips (batter will be thick).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 cupcakes.
Reviews for Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Sort By :
the recipe made 12+ cupcakes for me. i added a lot more orange juice to make the batter thinner. all in all i liked the cupcake, my husband thought it was too dry. after a few days in the fridge the cupcakes tasted better and more moist. also a good recipe for those watching their cholestrol
I found this to be very dry cup cake. Will not make it again.
these cupcakes were very simple to make, and they made a huge hit. everyone loved them. I'll definitely make these again.
The mayo is a substitute for eggs & oil. You can use it when you are making a small amount of corn bread also.
I believe the mayo is a substitute for eggs, so you might be able to use unsweetened applesauce in place of it. In many baking recipes, I substitute 1/4 cup of applesauce for 1 egg, so if it's 2 eggs, the amount of applesauce would be 1/2 cup, etc. Hope this helps!