Chocolate-Orange Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE FILLING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 4 cups whipped topping
- CHOCOLATE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, chocolate and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Pierce side of each puff with tip of knife. Cool on wire racks. Split puffs open. Pull out and discard soft dough from inside tops and bottoms.
- 3. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, milk and marmalade. Cook and stir until chips are melted. Cool to room temperature. Stir in orange liqueur; fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4. For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. Just before serving, fill cream puffs with filling; drizzle with chocolate syrup. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cream puff with 2 teaspoons chocolate syrup equals 206 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.