Chocolate Orange Cookies
My three sisters like the combination of chocolate and orange as much as I do, so we all really savor these beautiful cookies. The candied orange peel on top is a special twist. —Ruth Rumple, Rockford, Ohio
18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely grated orange peel
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually
- add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 15
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a
- floured 2-in. cookie cutter or shape into 2-in. x 1-in. rectangles.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Combine orange peel
- and remaining sugar; sprinkle over cookies.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until the edges just begin to
- brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Melt chocolate chips; decorate
- cookies. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 236 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium,