Chocolate Oatmeal Stars Recipe
Fans of oatmeal cookies will love this variation that combines oats, chocolate and coconut. These star-shaped cookies "shine" wherever I take them!
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- Colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Stir in melted chocolate chips. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar or nonpareils.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 113 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC