Chocolate Oat Squares Recipe
When you bring these treats to a gathering, guests will be tempted to start at the dessert table. Chock-full of chocolate and walnuts, they will satisfy any sweet tooth. I often make a second batch just for my family. -Jennifer Eilts, Central City, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press two-thirds of oat mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and remaining vanilla. Spread over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 204 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC