A sprinkling of walnuts and chips tops this subtly sweet treat from Bonnie Spaulding, Litchfield, New Hampshire.
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine water and oats; let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in oat mixture. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 1 cup chips.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining chips. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Oat Snack Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p63
Reviews for Chocolate Oat Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review