Chocolate-Oat Bat Cookies Recipe
Oatmeal cookie fans will love this variation that combines oats, chocolate and coconut. They're different then average cutouts, and the bat shape is so cute! —Edna Hall, Aitkin, Minnesota
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- Red-hot candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Stir in chocolate and extracts. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 3-in. bat-shaped cookie cutter.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Add Red-Hots for eyes. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 227 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC