Oatmeal cookie fans will love this variation that combines oats, chocolate and coconut. They're different then average cutouts, and the bat shape is so cute! —Edna Hall, Aitkin, Minnesota
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- Red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Stir in chocolate and extracts. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 3-in. bat-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Add Red-Hots for eyes. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Oat Bat Cookies in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun Annual 2007, p9
Reviews for Chocolate-Oat Bat Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review