Chocolate-Nut Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
As a little girl, I made these with my mother every Christmas. Now I make them every year with my daughters-in-law, daughters and grandchildren!—Sedonie Zeitler, Luxemburg, Wisconsin
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add almonds and almond extract to one portion. Add cocoa to remaining portion.
- 2. Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place almond layer over chocolate dough. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 46 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate-Nut Pinwheel Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC