- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add almonds and almond extract to one portion. Add cocoa to remaining portion.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place almond layer over chocolate dough. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate-Nut Pinwheel Cookies
Sort By :
"Impressive looking and very tasty. Has been added to my must make cookie list for Christmas."
"Me and my five kids have ALWAYS baked these wonderful and fun-to-bake cookies in December. If they are away from home for Christmas they still get a bunch of them from mom."