- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add almonds and almond extract to one portion. Add cocoa to remaining portion.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place almond layer over chocolate dough. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate-Nut Pinwheel Cookies
"I loved the almond flavor in these."
"These cookies taste good, look good, and the dough rolled out and rolled up well. However, we found the cookies to be very dense and hard after they were baked. Good for dunking maybe....Could it be that the dough is overworked by the time they are formed? I don't think I overbaked them."
"Very good recipe. I like almond flavoring a lot so I would increase the almond flavoring to one teaspoon."
"The dough was almost impossible to work with. This cookie is not worth the trouble to make."