Chocolate Nut Brownies Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Combine dry ingredients; stir into batter. Fold in half of nuts.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 194 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Nut Brownies
"This is the recipe I remember from my childhood (before packaged mixes). Rich and chocolatey, they bake up just right - not too cake-like, but not too moist. I used a dark baking pan and increased cooking time by 5 min."