Chocolate Nut Bread
You can't go wrong with my grandmother's chocolaty bread recipe. It tastes as yummy as it looks...it's my most-requested special-occasion bread...and it never lasts long at bake sales.
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, chocolate and vanilla;
- mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Pour into four greased 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at
- 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to
- wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 4 mini loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 251 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 214 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.