Chocolate Nougat Cake Recipe
A wonderful lady who baby-sat me as a child gave me a recipe book of her handwritten specialties for a wedding gift. This one is my favorite.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until fluffy. Blend in egg yolks and chocolate. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. stir in nuts. Beat egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff peaks form; fold gently into batter.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler. With an electric mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds. Cook over boiling water for 7 minutes, beating constantly on high until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes or until frosting has a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 342 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Nougat Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC