Chocolate Muffins Recipe
"I first made these fancy nut-topped muffins for a Valentine's Day breakfast for my husband and son," reports Carol Gaus of Itasca, Illinois. "Applesauce keeps them moist and eliminates the need for oil."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, milk, egg substitute and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
One muffin equals 119 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC