"I first made these fancy nut-topped muffins for a Valentine's Day breakfast for my husband and son," reports Carol Gaus of Itasca, Illinois. "Applesauce keeps them moist and eliminates the need for oil."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking
- soda. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, milk, egg substitute
- and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with
- batter. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or
- until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a
- wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: One muffin equals 119 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,