"I first made these fancy nut-topped muffins for a Valentine's Day breakfast for my husband and son," reports Carol Gaus of Itasca, Illinois. "Applesauce keeps them moist and eliminates the need for oil."
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, milk, egg substitute and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Muffins in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p17
Reviews for Chocolate Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review