A pretty, tart cranberry sauce complements the sweet, fudgy mousse in this outstanding dessert from Barbara Nowakowski of North Tonowanda, New York. Make it the day before the party—how convenient!
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolk, 1/4 cup cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cooled and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Line a 1-qt. bowl with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the sauce ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, invert mousse onto a platter; remove plastic wrap. Cut into wedges; serve with cranberry sauce. Yield: 10 servings (about 1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse with Cranberry Sauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p58
Reviews for Chocolate Mousse with Cranberry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review