Chocolate Mousse Torte Recipe
Although this mouse torte created by our Test Kitchen is very rich, people just can't seem to get enough of it. Decorated with melted chocolate and Chocolate Almond Pinecones, this is an impressive dessert.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + freezing YIELD:16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 25 wafers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, warmed
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips, melted and Chocolate Almond Pinecones, optional
- 1. Combine the first three ingredients; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Cool. Place each flavor of chocolate in a separate bowl; set aside. In another bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute or until softened.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually whisk in half-and-half.
- 3. Transfer to a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Immediately pour a third of the egg mixture over each flavor of chocolate; quickly stir each until melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the whipped cream into each bowl. Pour bittersweet chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Repeat with milk chocolate mixture, then white chocolate mixture.
- 6. To serve, carefully run a sharp a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove side of pan. Garnish if desired by drizzling with melted chocolate to create pine boughs and topping with chocolate Almond Pinecones. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 263 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC