- 1-1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 25 wafers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, warmed
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips, melted and Chocolate Almond Pinecones, optional
- Combine the first three ingredients; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Cool. Place each flavor of chocolate in a separate bowl; set aside. In another bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute or until softened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually whisk in half-and-half.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Immediately pour a third of the egg mixture over each flavor of chocolate; quickly stir each until melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the whipped cream into each bowl. Pour bittersweet chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Repeat with milk chocolate mixture, then white chocolate mixture.
- To serve, carefully run a sharp a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove side of pan. Garnish if desired by drizzling with melted chocolate to create pine boughs and topping with chocolate Almond Pinecones. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p95
Reviews for Chocolate Mousse Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 1, 2013
"My Boss loves pine cones on anything and I would love to make this for her this Christmas, but I need help with the pine cones...HELP!"
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2009
"This was a big hit at my holiday party."