Fans of chocolate will fall head over heels for this decadent dessert. The recipe makes two cakes, so it's a wonderful choice for entertaining.—Lisa Angalich, Wheeling, West Virginia
Featured In: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Pipe frosting over tops of cakes; sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 cakes (8 servings each).
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p71
Reviews for Chocolate Mousse Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review