Chocolate Molasses Taffy
For an old-fashioned treat that's sure to get smiles from guests of all ages, try these individually wrapped squares of chocolaty taffy. Yum!—Suzan Wiener, Spring Hill, Florida
100 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, molasses and
- remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook without
- stirring until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla. Pour into
- prepared pan. Cool slightly. Score the surface into small squares.
- Cool completely and cut along scored lines. Wrap candy in waxed
- paper. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 23 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.