Chocolate Mocha Torte Recipe
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- Pecan halves, optional
- 1. For cake, make a paste of cocoa and water; cool and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Blend in cocoa mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over low heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 4. Meanwhile, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve coffee in water; add to creamed mixture along with cocoa, vanilla and cooled milk mixture. Beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Fold in nuts.
- 5. Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 6. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the milk, water, vanilla, salt and half of the confectioners' sugar; mix well. Beat in the remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth and fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Garnish with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 660 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Mocha Torte
"My husband loved the cake, made for his birthday last year. The sides of the cake need to be piped but there's not enough frosting to do so. Next time I'll increase the frosting."
"Impressive looking and delicious. Mine was not quite as pretty, my frosting skills leave a little to be desired, but it tasted great. It used up quite a few dishes in its preparation, but the result was worth it. My favorite part is the filling. I did have to alter the recipe a little. When I added the additional confectioners sugar as asked for in the recipe, the frosting became very chunky and mortar like. I added more evaporated milk until the frosting was the consistency that I wanted. Other than that, great recipe!"