Chocolate Mint Surprises Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT FILLING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- 2. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and extracts until smooth. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. Place a ball in the center of each cookie; flatten. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- 4. Dip cookies in melted candy coating to completely cover; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 6 dozen.
1 each: 148 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate Mint Surprises
"Easy but time consuming. Still a favourite from the first taste and a cookie I now make every year. Irresistible."
"absolutely delicious and easy"
"Absolutely love them. Taste just like YORK peppermint candy which is one of my favorites. Easy to make."