- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT FILLING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and extracts until smooth. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. Place a ball in the center of each cookie; flatten. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Dip cookies in melted candy coating to completely cover; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Mint Surprises in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p90
Reviews for Chocolate Mint Surprises
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2010
Easy but time consuming. Still a favourite from the first taste and a cookie I now make every year. Irresistible.
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2010
absolutely delicious and easy
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2010
Absolutely love them. Taste just like YORK peppermint candy which is one of my favorites. Easy to make.