- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add
- to creamed mixture alternately with milk and water, beating well
- after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream until it begins to
- thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until stiff
- peaks form. Beat in food coloring if desired. Place one cake layer
- on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with second layer.
- For icing, in a microwave, melt chips and butter; stir until smooth.
- Cool slightly. Beat in evaporated milk and vanilla. Gradually beat
- in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost and decorate cake. Chill
- 2 hours before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 532 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.