Chocolate-Mint Hearts Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) mint chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips; stir. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle chocolate with sprinkles if desired. Place on waxed paper; refrigerate until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without sprinkles): 131 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate-Mint Hearts
"What a cute idea. I am running to the store right now but...I'm going to cheat. Going to buy ready-made cookies and dress them up like this for tonight. Just don't have baking time but I love the idea."
"The dough is very easy to work with and produced exactly the 24 cookies as predicted. I used Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips. Every one loved the taste."