Chocolate-Mint Hearts Recipe
Someone may be dipping a pear in chocolate fondue this very moment, but for the rest of us, it's breezier to dip cookies in minty chocolate for a quick indulgence. —Sheri Livermore, Waukesha, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (10 ounces) mint chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips; stir. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle chocolate with sprinkles if desired. Place on waxed paper; refrigerate until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without sprinkles) equals 131 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC