Chocolate-Mint Hearts Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) mint chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips; stir. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle chocolate with sprinkles if desired. Place on waxed paper; refrigerate until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate-Mint Hearts(4)
Sort By :
This was an okay cookie, but not one of my family's favorites. I had to microwave the dough after I chilled it, because it was so hard and crumbly that it wouldn't roll out. I got 18 cookies out of the recipe, but my cookie cutter may have been larger than called for.
What a cute idea. I am running to the store right now but...I'm going to cheat. Going to buy ready-made cookies and dress them up like this for tonight. Just don't have baking time but I love the idea.
The dough is very easy to work with and produced exactly the 24 cookies as predicted. I used Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips. Every one loved the taste.
Suggest the following change..
If you cannot find Mint chocolate chips, use peppermint extract instead of vanilla extract in the cookie dough.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >