- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips with 1 cup milk. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Spread half into a waxed paper-lined 8-in. square pan; chill for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan over low heat, cook and stir candy coating with remaining milk until coating is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in peppermint extract and food coloring. Spread over bottom layer; chill for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Warm remaining chocolate mixture if necessary; spread over mint layer. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Reviews for Chocolate Mint Candy
"Delicious! Made it exactly as written."
"Family enjoys - also make a different version with milk chocolate in the middle with no mint"
"I found this recipe easy to work with (once I realized that divided meant just use the remaining sweet condensed milk in the center mixture). I have never made candy so I found this recipe just right for my level. It certainly looks beautiful and I am excited to add it to my holiday treats. Thanks."
"I do not know if i used the wrong kind of milk, but the chocolate would not melt, the chocolate hardened, but the center was gooey, they were awful....You say to split the milk into to two 1 cups, but there are not 2 cups of milk in 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk....am i missing something?"
"I made this for a St Patrick's day treat and was so pleased with how it turned out. I did the bottom layer of chocolate, then the mint layer. I used the extra chocolate for the top layer to pipe shamrocks on top of the green. They looked and tasted amazing. I did 2 tsp. mint extract and thought the peppermint was perfect in strength. This is such a fun, easy, tasty recipe, I will be making it often!"
"These are absolutely delicious."
"gkc0314-Thank you for your fast response. I was not sure if it was almond bark or not. thanks again, I really appreciate it very much"
"Lucy4evfan--the white candy coating is like almond bark. It comes in white chocolate or milk chocolate and is available in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. It is what you can use for dip strawberries or pretzels in as well. It thickens a little more than melted chocolate chips do."
"what is the white candy coating? any help would be great. I have not made a recipe calling for that. THANK YOU gkc0314 for the info. I thought it might be almond bark but was not sure. this recipe looks fairly easy and good"
"Absolutely Awesome! My whole family loved them and they were so easy to make."