The moist texture of these mini loaves resembles a pound cake. Each bite is rich and succulent, making this perfect for dessert as well as snacking.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate chips, eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce just until moistened. Fold in miniature chips.
- Divide batter among five greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans, about 1 cup in each. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, combine the chocolate chips, butter and water in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaves. Yield: 5 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Originally published as Chocolate Mini Loaves in Best of Country Breads 2000, p31
Reviews for Chocolate Mini Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review