Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cakes Recipe
These spiced balls are a yummy twist on a traditional favorite. Sometimes I add mini chocolate chips to the dough and, after baking, dip the cooled cookies in melted almond bark. —Joanne Valkema, Freeport, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:42 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped pecans or almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cornstarch, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until set.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining confectioners' sugar. Roll warm cookies in sugar mixture; cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 103 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC