This divine dessert is a chocoholic's dream come true with its moist made-from scratch cake and crunchy meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, shaved
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1 in. apart on paper; set aside. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together 2 times; gently fold into batter. Fold in vanilla. Spread evenly over circles.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven; cool on baking sheet. When completely cool, remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to batter alternately with buttermilk and water.
- Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread 1/2 cup whipped over cake layer; top with a meringue and another 1/2 cup topping. Top with second cake layer, 1/2 cup topping, second meringue and remaining topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits and shaved chocolate. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Meringue Torte in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p14
Reviews for Chocolate Meringue Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review