Chocolate Meringue Stars Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in cocoa.
- 2. Insert a #8b large open star tip into a pastry bag; fill half full with meringue. Pipe stars, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter, or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from paper; cool on wire racks.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 40 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Meringue Stars
"I've tried twice to make these, each time after I add the cocoa, it breaks. I added it by folding, then tried beating. Both times it broke. Had to throw it out."
"My meringue cookies did not turn out right. I think maybe we needed to lower the temp? I have a gas oven... Sometimes I think that makes a difference. Will try again! I had been looking for a recipe like this because I used to buy low fat meringue cookies at the grocery store and we all really liked them :)"
"good but very crunchy"
"These are very good! They somehow remind me of hot cocoa! Very easy to make and look amazing!"
"I was confused by the "add salt" in the directions when no salt was listed in the ingredients. I added 1/8 tsp. of cream of tartar instead, and they turned out great!"
"I made these for the first time over Christmas and they were a big hit! I didn't have cake decorating tips so I used a ziplock baggie and sliced off the end. I also made this recipe for Valentine's day without the coca an added red food coloring before forming them into hearts! They turned out cute and were eaten up :)"
"I've seen meringue cookies and always thought they'd be difficult to make - these are very easy. And, they taste good, even if they aren't dipped in chocolate. My husband didn't care for them because it was like eating nothing, but everyone else has raved about them. Would also make a great decoration on a cake. Having egg whites at room temperature will help them form peaks quicker. Yes, I'll make them again - I lost the original recipe and have been frantically searching for it on the internet."