These light, delicate chewy cookies sure make for merry munching. Their big chocolate flavor makes it difficult to keep the kids away from them long enough to get any on the cookie tray. -Edna F. Lee, Greeley, Colorado
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in cocoa.
- Insert a #8b large open star tip into a pastry bag; fill half full with meringue. Pipe stars, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter, or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from paper; cool on wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Meringue Stars in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p29
Reviews for Chocolate Meringue Stars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review