- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in cocoa.
- Insert a #8b large open star tip into a pastry bag; fill half full with meringue. Pipe stars, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter, or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from paper; cool on wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Meringue Stars
Sort By :
My meringue cookies did not turn out right. I think maybe we needed to lower the temp? I have a gas oven... Sometimes I think that makes a difference. Will try again! I had been looking for a recipe like this because I used to buy low fat meringue cookies at the grocery store and we all really liked them :)
good but very crunchy
These are very good! They somehow remind me of hot cocoa! Very easy to make and look amazing!
I was confused by the "add salt" in the directions when no salt was listed in the ingredients. I added 1/8 tsp. of cream of tartar instead, and they turned out great!
I subbed all the sugar for Splenda, didn't decorate with the chocolate on top, used a ziplock back with the corner cup off to squeeze out the meringue. Delicious,low cal, diabetic cookie. Yummm