Chocolate Meringue Bread Pudding
The sweet chocolate layer and pretty golden meringue set this bread pudding apart from the rest. We love its custard-like consistency. This is a great dessert for any occasion.
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 slices day-old white bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine
- the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla; pour over
- bread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to sides of dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.