- 8 slices day-old white bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla; pour over bread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to sides of dish. Bake, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Meringue Bread Pudding
"Delicious! I made this for a St Pattys party and people raved about it!"
"Chocolate and Bread pudding...What could be better??"
"Made this tonight for my St. Paddy's day theme dinner and it went over well."
"i would make this recipe again. my 6 tear old girl tried to eat as many chocolat chips as went on the bread pudding. i may try it with some cinnamon spice next time"