- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
"I did not like this cake. My favorite chocolate cake to make is made with sour cream which makes the cake super moist and delicious, so I thought this was the same concept. However, in my sour cream cake you cannot taste the sour cream. This cake was very dense and tasted heavily of mayo. The pro of this cake was that it came together very easily with ingredients I have on hand. Needless to say I will not be making this again."
"I have made this exact recipe for many years. This cake, as written, is delicious!!!"
"Icing was much too stiff. I had trouble spreading it. The cake was okay but dried out too fast Will likely make again but with a different icing"
"My famly loves this cake its very moist. For added flavor i add bananas"
"This particular recipe is very bland. I also found it very dry, even when removing the cakes early."
"EXCELLENT!! I DO substitute one of the teaspoons of soda for one teaspoon of salt, however, AND I add a dash of sweet Marsala wine, just for the heck of it. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!"
"I found this to be perfect just the way it is; tastes wonderful and it's super moist. I like it with the frosting or just with a simple whipped cream. It has one down side: it's too delicious to last long!"
"Try replacing the cocoa with hot chocolate mix, but double the amount of cocoa, it makes it really good and a bit sweeter."