Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe
Everyone always asks what the secret ingredient of this cake is and they are definitely surprised when I tell them: Mayonnaise! It give it such a zippy flavor.—Susan Brauer, Aurora, Colorado
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add water, mayonnaise and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square or an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat by hand until frosting is of spreading consistency. Immediately frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 416 calories, 19 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC