- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add water, mayonnaise and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square or an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat by hand until frosting is of spreading consistency. Immediately frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
"Made this cake when my kids were young and forgot about it for years. Uses stuff we normally have in the cabinet and is real easy and tastes great. The brown sugar frosting takes this cake to the next level. Yum."
"I have been baking this cake for some time with this recipe, my husband loves it and he normally does not like mayo!"