Everyone always asks what the secret ingredient of this cake is and they are definitely surprised when I tell them: Mayonnaise! It give it such a zippy flavor.—Susan Brauer, Aurora, Colorado
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add water, mayonnaise and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square or an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat by hand until frosting is of spreading consistency. Immediately frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake in Country Extra January 2002, p37
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2010
"I have been baking this cake for some time with this recipe, my husband loves it and he normally does not like mayo!"