I've never had a chance to sample this cake—I'm allergic to chocolate!—but everyone, especially my teenage son, tells me it's the best they've eaten. They must be right, because every time I've taken it to a church event or family gathering, someone asks me for the recipe.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and chocolate squares to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the sour cream, remaining sugar and eggs. Beat in chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to mixture. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Drop reserved cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the creamed cheese mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Marble Squares in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p10
Reviews for Chocolate Marble Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review