Chocolate Marble Bread Recipe
My mother made this bread many Sundays for breakfast— and, if I was lucky, there'd be some left to savor Monday and Tuesday mornings as well! Just a whiff of this beautiful bread baking brings back treasured memories.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add eggs, beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on high for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Divide dough into thirds. Knead cocoa into one-third of the dough (this may take 5-6 minutes). Shape into a ball. Shape remaining two-thirds dough into one ball. Place each ball in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface.; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll white dough into a 20-in. x 10-in. rectangle; repeat with chocolate dough. Place chocolate layer on top of white layer.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; press edges to seal seam. Cut into 20 slices; place in a greased 10-in. tube pan in about three layers. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately; cool on a wire rack. For glaze, combine sugar and milk; drizzle over bread. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 258 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC