My aunt made these one year for Christmas, and my husband ate about a dozen. Since he liked them so much, I asked for the recipe and have made them often.
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Maple Cookies in Country Extra January 2000, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Maple Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review