Chocolate Maple Bars Recipe
My family runs a maple syrup operation, and I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate maple syrup into my cooking and baking. These bars are delicious! —Cathy Schumacher, Alto, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, syrup and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Remove half of the batter to another bowl.
- 2. Combine melted chocolate and pecans; stir into one bowl. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Add coconut to remaining batter. Spread carefully over chocolate batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Gradually add syrup, beating until smooth. Fold in marshmallows. Frost bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 143 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC