- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, syrup and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Remove half of the batter to another bowl.
- Combine melted chocolate and pecans; stir into one bowl. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Add coconut to remaining batter. Spread carefully over chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Gradually add syrup, beating until smooth. Fold in marshmallows. Frost bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Maple Bars
"These were delicious. I brought them to a community event this afternoon and got many positive comments. I prepared them just as the recipe instructed - very easy. Nice that it didn't take a long time to bake. Frosting was delicious too. Living in New York's maple country, we like to find unique ways to use real maple syrup too."