Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes Recipe
A delightful coconut and ricotta cheese filling is hidden inside these chocolate cupcakes. —Dolores Skrout, Summerhill, Pennsylvania
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut or almond extract
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the egg whites, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to egg white mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spoon half of the batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In another bowl, beat the ricotta cheese, sugar and egg white until smooth. Stir in coconut and extract. Spoon 1 tablespoonful in the center of each muffin cup.
- 3. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
One cupcake equals 121 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC