Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut or almond extract
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the egg whites, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to egg white mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spoon half of the batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In another bowl, beat the ricotta cheese, sugar and egg white until smooth. Stir in coconut and extract. Spoon 1 tablespoonful in the center of each muffin cup.
- 3. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 121 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes
"The flavor is great, but the cupcakes stuck really badly when I baked them using paper liners. If I bake them in liners again, I'll probably try using some oil or butter rather than all applesauce and see if that makes a difference."
"Two of my favorites in one recipe!!"
"loved this!! Easy to make & yummy!!"
"Moist and delicious. A great combo of flavors that tastes great warm or cold.Wonderfully simple and rewarding to make them from scratch! Thanks for a tasty dessert."
"The filling is not as creamy as one would expect. These are good though"
"I love these cupcakes. The ricotta filling is smooth and creamy and has just the right amount of coconut and ricotta cheese in them to make them a huge success."
"These cupcakes were a hit with my family. My sisters & I baked cupcakes to test for my nieces wedding This was a winner"
"The "cake" part of the cupcake was ok. The ricotta cheese in the filling was definitely not a hit with my kids. I think you would need to acquire a taste for these cupcakes. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd make this again."
"These sound terrific! I am going to make them tonight. and low cal to boot! YAY!"
"This one is too good to pass up, and I'm not crazy about desserts."