Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut or almond extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 2. Beat first four ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 3. For filling, beat ricotta cheese, sugar and egg white until blended. Stir in coconut and extract.
- 4. Fill prepared cups with half of the batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into center of each cupcake; cover with remaining batter.
- 5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in cupcake portion comes out clean, 28-33 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake: 126 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes
"The flavor is great, but the cupcakes stuck really badly when I baked them using paper liners. If I bake them in liners again, I'll probably try using some oil or butter rather than all applesauce and see if that makes a difference."
"Two of my favorites in one recipe!!"
"loved this!! easy to make & yummy!!"
"Moist and delicious. A great combo of flavors that tastes great warm or cold.Wonderfully simple and rewarding to make them from scratch! Thanks for a tasty dessert."
"The filling is not as creamy as one would expect. These are good though"
"I love these cupcakes. The ricotta filling is smooth and creamy and has just the right amount of coconut and ricotta cheese in them to make them a huge success."
"These cupcakes were a hit with my family. My sisters & I baked cupcakes to test for my nieces wedding This was a winner"
"The "cake" part of the cupcake was ok. The ricotta cheese in the filling was definitely not a hit with my kids. I think you would need to acquire a taste for these cupcakes. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd make this again."
"These sound terrific! I am going to make them tonight. and low cal to boot! YAY!"
"This one is too good to pass up, and I'm not crazy about desserts."