Chocolate Macaroon Critters
These sweet and yummy treats are easy for kids to help make. They will especially enjoy using the M&M’s to make the faces into a wide variety of expressions—silly, happy and yes, even scary!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup egg whites (about 6)
- M&M's miniature baking bits
- Red decorating frosting
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a
- large bowl, beat the coconut, sugar and egg whites until combined.
- Beat in melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tops feel dry.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Using baking bits and frosting, create faces on cookies. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie (calculated without baking bits and icing) equals 89 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.