Chocolate Macaroon Cake Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- CAKE BATTER:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in coconut and flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- 3. In another large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Combine coffee and buttermilk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- 4. Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom. Drop coconut filling by spoonfuls over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of pan and remove.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 441 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Chocolate Macaroon Cake
"For this recipie, do you have to use coffee? Does anyone know of a good substitute?"