Chocolate Macaroon Cake Recipe
"This cake is always popular with chocolate lovers, including my five children," notes Saburo Aburano of Ann Arbor, Michigan. "I got the recipe from a dear friend more than 30 years ago."
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- CAKE BATTER:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in coconut and flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- 3. In another large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Combine coffee and buttermilk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- 4. Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom. Drop coconut filling by spoonfuls over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of pan and remove.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 441 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Macaroon Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC